In 1730, part of the building was used for the construction of the ‘Teatro Argentina’ which is of huge architectural importance. The Tower however was partially severed in 1800, and now, it is hardly recognizable having been incorporated into other buildings. It has however left its mark in the name.
Today, in protection of many beautiful artifacts, one can find a colony of cats – silent and cunning, they are protected and loved by the citizens of Rome.
One can encounter the animals whilst walking through the surrounding areas and find them to be sociable and relaxed, accompanying passers-by and tourists in search of a stroke and a cuddle.
Brief History of the Archaeological Area
The windows of the Temple View B&B open on to the archaeological area called the ‘sacred area’. This consists of the ruins of four ancient temples, which over the centuries (from the 4th to the 2nd centuries B.C.) were built in multiple layers. The remains are designated letters A, B, C and D (from north to south).
The first two temples (A & C) were placed in an area elevated above the surrounding area, and were constructed independently of each other. Later, temple D arose which was the largest of the four, but unfortunately only part of it is visible with the rest of it being buried below the surface of the road. Temple B is the newest temple and the only circular one.
Later (around the middle of the 1400’s), the name of the square ‘Torre Argentina’ was given by a Master of Ceremonies of the popes. This prelate was born in Strasbourg (Argentoratum in Latin) and so named the place out of his love for Argentinum and built a palace (still visible today at 44 Via del Sudario) with a large tower called the Argentine Tower – Torre Argentina.